As an illustrator most of my time is spent drawing relatively cute and pretty pictures aimed to appease conservative publishers and appeal to a young market. Thus, my private sketchbook is a haven to unfetter my brain on paper... (If you are looking for my usual work in children's literature, check out my regular blog at http://benredlich.blogspot.com/)

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Caricature I

Everyone's favourite doomsday prophet...
Harold Camping
This started out as a straight portrait, intended to be another 'interesting face', but it wasn't working out. So I turned him into a caricature instead. Harold Camping has such a feeble and benign appearance, it's hard to imagine anyone taking his predictions seriously. I didn't know anything about Camping until one night my wife and I drove past a billboard advertising the end of the world, predicted to occur on May 21st this year...
Family Radio and Harold Camping spent $100 million on a worldwide advertising campaign for this nonsense. Read more about it here... We had a wedding to go to on the 21st, so lucky for our friends Lou & Russ, none of their guests were raptured away.

And as a sheer coincidence at the time of doing this picture yesterday, apparently today, October 21st, is Camping's revised date for the end of the world. Let's hope he's right the third time, his reputation could be damaged...

No comments:

Post a Comment